Monday, February 18, 2013

Holding Space: You do it more then you think

For the next series of blogs I am going to write about the process of receiving energy work. I am sure that many of you have gone to a healer or energy worker, and I am sure that many of you never have! My practice is in Los Angeles, but wherever you live there are healers that can help you if you are searching or interested in trying this type of work. Here are some basics you might want to know.

The key for any healer is to be able to hold space for you while you are receiving the help that you are searching for. ‘Holding space’ is a term that is used in the healing community. What it means is providing a safe, protective and loving atmosphere that one can be vulnerable in during a healing session. When I am helping a client my structure of holding space is based in complete presence for my client. I ground myself into the earth, open up to the cosmic world and create an invocation that allows for whatever healing needs to occur during a session. I leave my own ego and needs at the door, and focus all of my energies on the client.  

I believe that all of us from one time or another have held space for someone dear in our life. For instance, when a person gets married there is often a gathering of people that are called together to witness the ceremony. Every person at the ceremony is there to share in the experience, but most of all they are there to hold space in this sacred event for the couple. All eyes and hearts are joined in the witnessing of the monumental, yet very private, occasion.

Another example is when a loved one passes on and there are funeral or memorial services that people attend. Those who gather are not only there to pay respects to the deceased but also to hold space for the family of the deceased; to bear witness to another’s suffering. We all instinctively know that at weddings and funerals, it’s not about us. And we gladly put our own ideas and opinions aside for a moment to focus our energy on those who need us.

Another important though often overlooked way to hold space is to just listen to a friend or family member that needs to vent. To hold space in this situation is to be present and listen with complete empathy and love as they let out whatever it is they need to. Often the best thing we can do for another is not to offer our opinions or to turn the conversation around to ourselves, but just to hold space for the other person to safely and securely feel whatever it is they are feeling. By being there for them, without judgment and without personal motive, the other person is often able to come to their own resolution or conclusion themselves. They just needed a safe space to hash it out. At the end of the conversation you may hear them say I feel better, thank you for listening. Some of the great therapists will tell you that they don’t actually get paid to talk or give advice, they get paid to listen.

You may have experienced that feeling of being there for another; when it is no longer about you, and all of your energy is focused on supporting and uplifting another. Those moments are when you are holding space. They are a gift. 

The process of holding space is something innate in all of us, and each time we do this we may feel grateful, balanced and helpful on a very subtle level. The next time someone asks if they can talk to you about something know that they are asking you because when they talk to you they feel safe, protected and loved, as they spill out everything that makes them vulnerable. To hold space for another is a blessing to both the receiver and the giver. Eventually you may realize you’re giving and receiving at the same time.

So when you go to a healer and you feel safe, protected and loved you know that you are in the right place to unwind whatever stress you may be holding onto. You are in helping hands with a healer that can stay neutral and present with you throughout your healing session. I am so grateful for the many opportunities I have had to provide that space for my clients, friends and loved ones.

I am interested in hearing places you have held space for another in your life.  The more of you that comment on this, the more others will awaken to the times of great healing they have participated in in their own lives. 

For example, I am grateful for the opportunity I had to hold space for my wife while she delivered our beautiful daughter. Never in my life have I been more certain that what was happening was not about me, and yet I knew my presence and energy was needed immensely.

Now it is your turn! Thank you for participating.



 

6 comments:

  1. a loved one hurting another loved one. That one is tough. Listening to both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my mother was passing away, my sisters and I held space for her and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. odc thank you for sharing, that really can be a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erma, thank you for sharing about your family. Holding space with your sisters for your mother and each other is as deep as it gets. I am sorry for your loss and I am grateful that you had each other through that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really humbled by this Holding Space, I've never heard of it. Many things, experiences, and memories are flooding in my memory. Thank you for posting this. I am pretty good with words and always feel I must give an advice or how I handled a similar situation, thinking I was helping. I will definitely change that pattern and just let others feelings flow. I am was inspired by the tranquil energy you maintain in a healing session. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malcolm, I am glad that these words have helped you. I am also grateful that you felt the process of holding space in our healing session.

    ReplyDelete